So I finished the thumbnails for Chapter 12 last night. It's uh. Haha. There's a lot to draw... quite a few crowd scenes in particular. So I'm gonna be needing more cameos! I'm removing the usual 3 cameo limit and making it 6 for the time being. (Submit two forms for that). I probably won't be enforcing the cameo limit too strictly compared to the other rules this time around as I often skip a handful of cameos for eligibility reasons so if you're not sure if you submitted any prior, feel free to resubmit. These cameo forms will be good for any scene in Starfall City during this arc (so through Ch13 at least). Click the link below to fill them out!
Additionally, due to the estimate workload that this chapter will give me I'm going to hold off resuming updates until Mid-late December so I can try to get a headstart with pages. Usually the average page takes about 3-5 hours from sketch to finish to complete, however many of the pages in Chapter 12 are looking to be 8+ hour pages just based on character complexity (Arth), quantity (crowd scenes), backgrounds (help), or a mix of all of the above. What this means is I expect this chapter to be a lot tougher to maintain a weekly schedule with which is why I'd like to put off resuming updates until sometime in December. Doing so will allow me some more time to try building a buffer- or at least getting the sketches of the first several pages ready- so that I can hold a weekly upload schedule at least for the first few weeks. I'm going to go ahead and rule out Tuesday bonus updates unless I get a large enough buffer for that. Sorry! I hate lowering the update schedule but this chapter really is crazier on the art side than previous chapters.
Thank you so much for your patience in the meantime! Asks will continue to be posted twice a week until Chapter 12 is ready to start. I think I've got enough asks answered to last through... November 13th and I've got a handful of questions still in the queue to be answered so we should be good for the time being. Of course, if you still want to ask questions feel free! I may save a few for the next Q&A session if I don't answer them all this time around.
So chapter 11 is officially done which means it's time for a hiatus while I get chapter 12 prepped and ready to go into production. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to finalize the outline for the chapter so you're probably going to need to deal with the cliffhanger for a while longer than I had originally intended (I was hoping to have the script done by now oops). It's okay- I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on the progress of chapter 12.
In the meantime I have a few small announcements:
Cast Page Update
- While not necessarily new, the cast page has been updated to include the new characters from Chapter 11. This change was actually made last week but I figured it'd be an easter egg for those who check it to see the new characters early. I'm aware of the error with Amber's info- I'll fix that next time I update the page ahead of Chapter 12.
Chapter 11 Annotated PDF
- Like I do after every chapter I compile a PDF file of the entire chapter at its full resolution. This PDF includes some bonus goodies such as author notes that usually contain some of my thinking process, fun-facts about the characters, or just general notes about the chapter. Additionally the PDF includes the outline, script, and layouts for the chapter along with some practice and concept sketches. Also the april fools pages in their full resolution glory are included. This PDF is available to patrons of the $10+ tier for a limited time (until November 1st)- so if you're interested in getting the file this is your first and probably last notice about it!
- I'll be opening up asks again to help pass the time between chapters. There were many questions in the last round and it was pretty well received so why not? As usual, please be sure to ask questions only in the designated places on each respective site that they're open on. This makes it much easier for me to find the questions. Any questions asked in the incorrect place will be ignored. The places to ask will be:
ComicFury: In the comments of the Asks rule page
DeviantArt: In the designated Journal
Patreon: In the designated Post
Twitter: Reply to the designated tweet.
Asks are already open on Patreon. They will open everywhere else this Friday at the normal PRS update time.
Cameos are still Open!
- Earlier in the year I opened up Cameos for Chapter 11. However, I only managed to get through a handful of cameo sheets and thus will be extended the same cameo form for the remaining chapters in the Starfall Arc. So if you missed the window last time, fret not! Please be sure to read the rules on the cameo form- and if you submitted previously, please do not submit more unless your characters were among the ones that appeared in Chapter 11. Please do not be upset if your cameos do not end up being used- I usually pick cameos based on what fits best for the scene and what I feel like drawing.
Cameo Form: https://forms.gle/3U8xYeifGiRee8ak9
- Some of y'all have discovered my redbubble recently. I don't usually advertise it since I don't add much more than the odd sticker but I plan on adding some Ch11 art as stuff like button pins later on- and maybe some new stickers. If there's any art I've made (that isn't commissioned or gift art) that y'all would like to see put on Redbubble in any form, just ask. I don't rely on redbubble for income so all prices should be the redbubble default. I use redbubble more to feed my unhealthy sticker addiciton.
- Lastly, I'd just like to thank everyone for all of the support over the years! Motivation has been an on/off thing for a while now and I'm so happy at the general reception of Chapter 11. It's given me a wave of motivation for the comic that I didn't think I had left in me. I know the story can be a bit slow at times but I swear I'm trying to push things onward! I don't know when Chapter 12 will be ready for updates but I'm quite excited for it- hopefully you guys are too! I've switched the Chapter 11 tracker to start tracking Chapter 12's script progress. Once the script is done it'll change to tracking layouts- and then to overall chapter completion like it has been the last few months. Once you see layouts nearing completion you'll know it's almost time to get working on the actual pages! Until then- enjoy the asks and please don't kill me for the cliffhanger.
Non-important announcement here to help someone out. You see a good friend of mine is trying to get 50 followers on Twitch for access to new fancy stuff that comes with that achievement. So I'm asking y'all to visit his twitch page and whatever and consider following. I don't know much about twitch or anything- all I want is to help a friend out.
If he reaches 50 followers by 6 PM my time I'll change PRS' update schedule to 2x a week for the remainder of the chapter which would have the chapter end on Sept 22. If he reaches 50 by 7 PM my time I'll move all updates up one slot to finish the chapter on the 29th.
Edit: He got to 50! Looks like I owe y'all double updates for the next few weeks~!
Some of you may have noticed that the progress bar now shows 100% completion for Chapter 11! Usually this is the part where I say it's time to go on hiatus while I prep the next chapter but... I've never finished the chapter this long before the last page of it goes public. It's kinda weird, honestly. I'm not going to say there won't be a post-chapter break because there's always the chance I'll just procrastinate Ch12 prep until the last minute but there's also a chance the break will be much shorter than usual! More importantly, while it's not necessarily new news I have moved the update schedule to include the patron-bonus 1st and 3rd Tuesday uploads. (For patrons that'd be the last and 3rd to last Tuesdays as all patrons get all pages a week early.)
I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone for all of the support and feedback y'all have given all these years. I may not respond to every single comment but I do read and greatly appreciate them! It's always a joy seeing people reading and enjoying the comic. Without you guys I'd have called it quites a long time ago. It's been a long learning experience and I'm glad I've gotten the opportunity to share it with you guys. <3 Please keep being awesome.
Updates are resuming this Friday! For the time being we're on Friday-only updates while I attempt to get other work done alongside new pages. No promises on weekly updates but we're good for this week and next at least! The progress tracker should be functioning properly again and should be accurate as I update it while I work.
PRS will be going on a break after page five goes up this Friday. Put simply, I've been so busy with other things I haven't had the time to work on PRS. I don't know how long it'll last but hopefully not more than a few weeks. Grad school thesis stuff comes first!
Quick update today!
So if y'all haven't been paying attention to the progress bar, I suggest taking a look! It should say 6/21 pages are complete at this time. What this means is we have a buffer! As such I've decided to put the patreon bonus updates in again for the time being. I'll likely burn through this buffer before I have the chance to work on the next few pages but it's fine. So updates are officially every Friday + the first and third Tuesdays of the month for the time being!
Also the amazing admin of ComicFury updated how the search works and provided us with a lovely code to help filter searches by keyword, transcript, or title. Title isn't too useful as I just name my pages as numbers- but the keyword/transcript searches will be very helpful!
I did some tinkering on the site a bit over the last week. The changes are as follows:
- Added a link to scroll mode to the navigation bar. Useful for binging and mobile-friendly!
- Fixed up the search page so it should be working again.
- Updated the keywords of every page to help with searches a little bit.
- NEW: We now have a cast page! It's nothing fancy but it should list every notable character in the comic!
Not sure when PRS updates will resume but enjoy the changes! I didn't break the site this time!
While trying to update the layout a little bit Today I accidentally broke the comic view page. In an attempt to fix it I uploaded a previous version of the layout without realizing it would replace the code for all of the site’s pages and not just the one I broke. Long story short I had to redo most of the custom changes I’ve made to the layout recently.
Please let me know if you see any bugs, broken links, missing things, etc. I did my best to remake the layout as close to what it was before I broke it. I only had one page to reference so some parts might look a touch different.
At least I got that new piece of code working... eventually. You’ll now see a list of the four most recent news posts included with the Author’s comments on comic pages. I wanted to add that in for a while since ComicFury doesn’t really notify users of new blogs/news posts which made them not worth using over announcement pages. With the links to news posts (and the date they were created) now easily viewable in the comments for everyone I’ll probably start using those more!
For those who saw the site when I broke it: I’m so sorry!
It's been a while since I've done a proper PRS update, hasn't it? The hiatus has definitely gone longer than anticipated- mostly stress, bad time management, and just feeling pretty BLEH most of the time. But it's okay- I think I've got that spark of motivation back again so I'm optimistic that I'll have Chapter 11 ready for production soon. I finished scripting the chapter yesterday so all that's left is layouts and then to actually start making the pages. Of course, I'm still working on my final graduate project/thesis so that's a major focus and may delay things a bit more. I'm shooting for a June 5th return. In the event that I feel like my graduate work is too heavy for that, then I'll push it back into July (at which point I should be done and ready to graduate hopefully). I'll continue to share Asks until the hiatus over! Patrons will start getting sneaks in the near future!
I'm really excited for this chapter. There's going to be some fun scenes in there... and a few fan-favorite characters will have a little time in the spotlight!