The PRS site here on CF will be going down for an unspecified amount of time sometime this weekend. Long story short, I've got a creepy as hell stalker who won't leave me the hell alone and I'm getting very tired of playing account whack-a-mole. I figure since PRS is on hiatus this won't really disrupt any updates- if anything, it'll just extend the hiatus a bit while I focus on other things. This is just a heads up so people don't freak out and think the comic is gone forever or anything. Just a few weeks. My deviantart will be temporarily deactived and my twitter will be privatized as well. Sorry for the inconvenience, guys. Please bear with me and be patient!
PRS will get an update tomorrow then resume the hiatus for a few more weeks!
Hey, everyone! It's been a while since I've done a proper status update.
A few weeks ago y'all remember the issue with people being spammy about typo corrections and whatnot on PRS page uploads. I know I was overreacting some but I don't regret that. For the most part I think the message has gotten across clearly but I'll probably still be posting the rules with each page now. The majority of people were overwhelmingly supportive of me and the comic during that mess.
There were some people whoever that I decided to block for being spammy, rude, etc. And I'd like to talk about that for a minute.
I don't block often. I really don't. I hate doing so and maybe that's why things wore me down as much as they did. It was always a last resort option for me in the past. A few months back I blocked someone who was a fairly toxic presence to me on discord and you know what? I realized that it's okay to block for your own mental health and sanity. Before I had always tried to just... work around it somehow? I don't know. It helped.
So when the spammy comments started becoming too frequent on DA/CF/etc. I decided that it'd be easier to just block the worst of the spammy commenters. Not all of them- just those who crossed the line a little further than most. One person in particular apparently did not take that well. They apparently got... obsessive after the block. I'm not sure that's the best word to describe it but anyway... they had someone ask me about their block, uploaded a screenshot of my response, decided to block evade with a new account (which I also blocked), and then started posting "F--- Petuniabubbles" type stuff. It was unpleasant. Now every account that watches me on Deviantart that is less than a week or two old has me anxious that it's this person trying to block evade again and I hate that. I don't like suspecting those who probably just want to see whatever I upload here.
Which I guess brings me to the point: No one should have to be afraid of backlash over blocking people. People should be able to block whoever they want for whatever reason they want. If someone starts acting in a way similar to my recent experience then all they have done is prove they deserved to be blocked. For those who know someone blocked by an artist: Please don't play messenger for them. Don't ask to give them second chances, don't ask why they were blocked. By doing so you may be encouraging creepy or abusive people to continue acting the way they were. If it weren't for everything that happened post-block I might have unblocked this particular person after another week or two (I tend to unblock the more spammy people after a few weeks in hopes that they get the message not to do so again).
I'm mostly just getting this off my chest cause I feel like venting. I'm fine and this isn't a situation where I feel like I'm being actively stalked or whatever. The worst that has come out of this is I'm now suspicious of new accounts watching me which I kind of hate.
Also apparently people think I'm a guy? I'm so confused over that but okay?!
Anyway- thanks for putting up with my quick ramble. Now for the part of the post y'all actually care about: After next week's PRS update there will be a brief hiatus. This is entirely unrelated to the above and more just something that was bound to happen anyway. The second half of Chapter 12 is a lot heavier on the art side and due to anxiety/depression swings I've run out of buffer. So I'd like to put a pause on updates until I can at least get 2-3 more pages done for buffer. Page 12-11 is done but it'll be posted after the break since I'd rather break at the end of one scene instead of at the start of another! I'll keep y'all updated on ETA for return.
Just to reiterate: There WILL be an update NEXT week. Just not for maybe 2-4 weeks after. In the meantime Nightfall info dumps will continue (as I've a buffer of those to last a few months) so if you want to check out my non-Pokemon comic (or rather, information as pages aren't in production yet), click the below link!
Thank you all for the amazing support and patience that you've so kindly shown in me. <3 I really appreciate it.
So it's been a while since I talked about my other story that's in the works- Nightfall. Lately I've been making some good progress on planning out the story, characters, and fleshing out the worldbuilding and I think it's a good time to start openly sharing more about it! So starting today I'll be posting concept art and other images relating to the comic on the official comic site (which is a bit of a WIP). Some of the images posted may be stuff I've already uploaded but I'll be sharing more information along with the images. I encourage people to feel free to ask questions relating to the story/world/chars if they want to!
Seriously. I just used every single cameo (that fit requirements) from the ch11/12 call in a single panel. All 89 of them. I do plan on re-using many for various crowd shots but just gonna put this link back out there for anyone who may still want to add some.
Just dropping by to confirm that Chapter 12 will indeed begin next Friday, the 25th. Y'all will get the cover for Christmas and the first page for New Years. They just happen to be on Fridays this year! We will be on a Friday-only upload schedule unless I can get significant buffer done to allow the 1st/3rd Tuesday updates to go in without risking missing updates.
Also a teeny tiny minor site update: The "Chapter 12 Progress" text above the progress bar now links to the spreadsheet tracker that the bar pulls data from. This way y'all can look to see the specifics of how far along the chapter is as the Overall completeion % can be a bit misleading/confusing. For example right now it's around 34% or something even though I have 20% of the pages completed. That's because it counts each individual step of the production process and some of those steps- like layouts and scripting- I do for the entire chapter before proceeding to sketching/lettering. So now you can see the overall progress of each individual step for a more detailed progress report. It'll show how many pages and panels are done for each step.
So before anyone asks me about the status of the next page- please refer to that!
Sorry I had to stop the asks. Life just got a bit too busy to keep up with those and I really wanted to shift focus to working on owed art and Chapter 12. So that's what I did! Some of y'all might've noticed the progress bar moving a tiny bit here and there. Just an itty bitty percent at a time as I've worked on scripts, thumbnails- and now actual pages! There's a 2 page buffer (if you count the chapter cover) in the finished pile and I'm hoping to expand that to maybe 5-6 before updates resume. This way I can at least guarantee a few weeks of updates before I may need to take a break or extra time for some of the more difficult pages to make. There truly are a few parts in this chapter that I'd hate to leave you hanging on (not that I ever feel bad for cliffhangers).
So my current return goal is Dec. 25. Whether that'll be for posting the cover or the first actual page of the chapter will probably be determined by buffer size in the week or two before! The first few pages are a bit on the heavier side just for Arth (Golisopod isn't easy to draw) followed by a few easier pages before it becomes background and crowds hell for a bit then a few more easy pages. The rest of the chapter is gonna be consistently on the time eating end so please please please bear with me if updates become inconsistent as we go. It's very difficult to keep regular updates! Before pestering me about "WHEN IS THE NEXT PAGE?" and all- please keep in mind pages can take anywhere from 3-12 hours to make and I'm anticipating at least 50% of the pages this chapter being closer to the 12 hour mark than the 3 hour mark.
Anyway- thank you all for your patience thus far! I know the long waits between chapters can be inconvenient- especially when I leave y'all off on a cliffhanger.
So I finished the thumbnails for Chapter 12 last night. It's uh. Haha. There's a lot to draw... quite a few crowd scenes in particular. So I'm gonna be needing more cameos! I'm removing the usual 3 cameo limit and making it 6 for the time being. (Submit two forms for that). I probably won't be enforcing the cameo limit too strictly compared to the other rules this time around as I often skip a handful of cameos for eligibility reasons so if you're not sure if you submitted any prior, feel free to resubmit. These cameo forms will be good for any scene in Starfall City during this arc (so through Ch13 at least). Click the link below to fill them out!
Additionally, due to the estimate workload that this chapter will give me I'm going to hold off resuming updates until Mid-late December so I can try to get a headstart with pages. Usually the average page takes about 3-5 hours from sketch to finish to complete, however many of the pages in Chapter 12 are looking to be 8+ hour pages just based on character complexity (Arth), quantity (crowd scenes), backgrounds (help), or a mix of all of the above. What this means is I expect this chapter to be a lot tougher to maintain a weekly schedule with which is why I'd like to put off resuming updates until sometime in December. Doing so will allow me some more time to try building a buffer- or at least getting the sketches of the first several pages ready- so that I can hold a weekly upload schedule at least for the first few weeks. I'm going to go ahead and rule out Tuesday bonus updates unless I get a large enough buffer for that. Sorry! I hate lowering the update schedule but this chapter really is crazier on the art side than previous chapters.
Thank you so much for your patience in the meantime! Asks will continue to be posted twice a week until Chapter 12 is ready to start. I think I've got enough asks answered to last through... November 13th and I've got a handful of questions still in the queue to be answered so we should be good for the time being. Of course, if you still want to ask questions feel free! I may save a few for the next Q&A session if I don't answer them all this time around.
So chapter 11 is officially done which means it's time for a hiatus while I get chapter 12 prepped and ready to go into production. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to finalize the outline for the chapter so you're probably going to need to deal with the cliffhanger for a while longer than I had originally intended (I was hoping to have the script done by now oops). It's okay- I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on the progress of chapter 12.
In the meantime I have a few small announcements:
Cast Page Update
- While not necessarily new, the cast page has been updated to include the new characters from Chapter 11. This change was actually made last week but I figured it'd be an easter egg for those who check it to see the new characters early. I'm aware of the error with Amber's info- I'll fix that next time I update the page ahead of Chapter 12.
Chapter 11 Annotated PDF
- Like I do after every chapter I compile a PDF file of the entire chapter at its full resolution. This PDF includes some bonus goodies such as author notes that usually contain some of my thinking process, fun-facts about the characters, or just general notes about the chapter. Additionally the PDF includes the outline, script, and layouts for the chapter along with some practice and concept sketches. Also the april fools pages in their full resolution glory are included. This PDF is available to patrons of the $10+ tier for a limited time (until November 1st)- so if you're interested in getting the file this is your first and probably last notice about it!
- I'll be opening up asks again to help pass the time between chapters. There were many questions in the last round and it was pretty well received so why not? As usual, please be sure to ask questions only in the designated places on each respective site that they're open on. This makes it much easier for me to find the questions. Any questions asked in the incorrect place will be ignored. The places to ask will be:
ComicFury: In the comments of the Asks rule page
DeviantArt: In the designated Journal
Patreon: In the designated Post
Twitter: Reply to the designated tweet.
Asks are already open on Patreon. They will open everywhere else this Friday at the normal PRS update time.
Cameos are still Open!
- Earlier in the year I opened up Cameos for Chapter 11. However, I only managed to get through a handful of cameo sheets and thus will be extended the same cameo form for the remaining chapters in the Starfall Arc. So if you missed the window last time, fret not! Please be sure to read the rules on the cameo form- and if you submitted previously, please do not submit more unless your characters were among the ones that appeared in Chapter 11. Please do not be upset if your cameos do not end up being used- I usually pick cameos based on what fits best for the scene and what I feel like drawing.
Cameo Form: https://forms.gle/3U8xYeifGiRee8ak9
- Some of y'all have discovered my redbubble recently. I don't usually advertise it since I don't add much more than the odd sticker but I plan on adding some Ch11 art as stuff like button pins later on- and maybe some new stickers. If there's any art I've made (that isn't commissioned or gift art) that y'all would like to see put on Redbubble in any form, just ask. I don't rely on redbubble for income so all prices should be the redbubble default. I use redbubble more to feed my unhealthy sticker addiciton.
- Lastly, I'd just like to thank everyone for all of the support over the years! Motivation has been an on/off thing for a while now and I'm so happy at the general reception of Chapter 11. It's given me a wave of motivation for the comic that I didn't think I had left in me. I know the story can be a bit slow at times but I swear I'm trying to push things onward! I don't know when Chapter 12 will be ready for updates but I'm quite excited for it- hopefully you guys are too! I've switched the Chapter 11 tracker to start tracking Chapter 12's script progress. Once the script is done it'll change to tracking layouts- and then to overall chapter completion like it has been the last few months. Once you see layouts nearing completion you'll know it's almost time to get working on the actual pages! Until then- enjoy the asks and please don't kill me for the cliffhanger.
Non-important announcement here to help someone out. You see a good friend of mine is trying to get 50 followers on Twitch for access to new fancy stuff that comes with that achievement. So I'm asking y'all to visit his twitch page and whatever and consider following. I don't know much about twitch or anything- all I want is to help a friend out.
If he reaches 50 followers by 6 PM my time I'll change PRS' update schedule to 2x a week for the remainder of the chapter which would have the chapter end on Sept 22. If he reaches 50 by 7 PM my time I'll move all updates up one slot to finish the chapter on the 29th.
Edit: He got to 50! Looks like I owe y'all double updates for the next few weeks~!