So it's been a while since I talked about my other story that's in the works- Nightfall. Lately I've been making some good progress on planning out the story, characters, and fleshing out the worldbuilding and I think it's a good time to start openly sharing more about it! So starting today I'll be posting concept art and other images relating to the comic on the official comic site (which is a bit of a WIP). Some of the images posted may be stuff I've already uploaded but I'll be sharing more information along with the images. I encourage people to feel free to ask questions relating to the story/world/chars if they want to!
Seriously. I just used every single cameo (that fit requirements) from the ch11/12 call in a single panel. All 89 of them. I do plan on re-using many for various crowd shots but just gonna put this link back out there for anyone who may still want to add some.
Just dropping by to confirm that Chapter 12 will indeed begin next
Friday, the 25th. Y'all will get the cover for Christmas and the first page for New Years. They just happen to be on Fridays this year! We will be on a Friday-only upload schedule unless I can get significant buffer done to allow the 1st/3rd Tuesday updates to go in without risking missing updates.
Also a teeny tiny minor site update: The "Chapter 12 Progress" text above the progress bar now links to the spreadsheet tracker that the bar pulls data from. This way y'all can look to see the specifics of how far along the chapter is as the Overall completeion % can be a bit misleading/confusing. For example right now it's around 34% or something even though I have 20% of the pages completed. That's because it counts each individual step of the production process and some of those steps- like layouts and scripting- I do for the entire chapter before proceeding to sketching/lettering. So now you can see the overall progress of each individual step for a more detailed progress report. It'll show how many pages and panels are done for each step.
So before anyone asks me about the status of the next page- please refer to that!
Sorry I had to stop the asks. Life just got a bit too busy to keep up with those and I really wanted to shift focus to working on owed art and Chapter 12. So that's what I did! Some of y'all might've noticed the progress bar moving a tiny bit here and there. Just an itty bitty percent at a time as I've worked on scripts, thumbnails- and now actual pages! There's a 2 page buffer (if you count the chapter cover) in the finished pile and I'm hoping to expand that to maybe 5-6 before updates resume. This way I can at least guarantee a few weeks of updates before I may need to take a break or extra time for some of the more difficult pages to make. There truly are a few parts in this chapter that I'd hate to leave you hanging on (not that I ever feel bad for cliffhangers).
So my current return goal is Dec. 25. Whether that'll be for posting the cover or the first actual page of the chapter will probably be determined by buffer size in the week or two before! The first few pages are a bit on the heavier side just for Arth (Golisopod isn't easy to draw) followed by a few easier pages before it becomes background and crowds hell for a bit then a few more easy pages. The rest of the chapter is gonna be consistently on the time eating end so please please please bear with me if updates become inconsistent as we go. It's very difficult to keep regular updates! Before pestering me about "WHEN IS THE NEXT PAGE?" and all- please keep in mind pages can take anywhere from 3-12 hours to make and I'm anticipating at least 50% of the pages this chapter being closer to the 12 hour mark than the 3 hour mark.
Anyway- thank you all for your patience thus far! I know the long waits between chapters can be inconvenient- especially when I leave y'all off on a cliffhanger.
So I finished the thumbnails for Chapter 12 last night. It's uh. Haha. There's a lot to draw... quite a few crowd scenes in particular. So I'm gonna be needing more cameos! I'm removing the usual 3 cameo limit and making it 6 for the time being. (Submit two forms for that). I probably won't be enforcing the cameo limit too strictly compared to the other rules this time around as I often skip a handful of cameos for eligibility reasons so if you're not sure if you submitted any prior, feel free to resubmit. These cameo forms will be good for any scene in Starfall City during this arc (so through Ch13 at least). Click the link below to fill them out!
Additionally, due to the estimate workload that this chapter will give me I'm going to hold off resuming updates until Mid-late December so I can try to get a headstart with pages. Usually the average page takes about 3-5 hours from sketch to finish to complete, however many of the pages in Chapter 12 are looking to be 8+ hour pages just based on character complexity (Arth), quantity (crowd scenes), backgrounds (help), or a mix of all of the above. What this means is I expect this chapter to be a lot tougher to maintain a weekly schedule with which is why I'd like to put off resuming updates until sometime in December. Doing so will allow me some more time to try building a buffer- or at least getting the sketches of the first several pages ready- so that I can hold a weekly upload schedule at least for the first few weeks. I'm going to go ahead and rule out Tuesday bonus updates unless I get a large enough buffer for that. Sorry! I hate lowering the update schedule but this chapter really is crazier on the art side than previous chapters.
Thank you so much for your patience in the meantime! Asks will continue to be posted twice a week until Chapter 12 is ready to start. I think I've got enough asks answered to last through... November 13th and I've got a handful of questions still in the queue to be answered so we should be good for the time being. Of course, if you still want to ask questions feel free! I may save a few for the next Q&A session if I don't answer them all this time around.
So chapter 11 is officially done which means it's time for a hiatus while I get chapter 12 prepped and ready to go into production. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to finalize the outline for the chapter so you're probably going to need to deal with the cliffhanger for a while longer than I had originally intended (I was hoping to have the script done by now oops). It's okay- I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on the progress of chapter 12.
In the meantime I have a few small announcements:
Cast Page Update
- While not necessarily new, the cast page has been updated to include the new characters from Chapter 11. This change was actually made last week but I figured it'd be an easter egg for those who check it to see the new characters early. I'm aware of the error with Amber's info- I'll fix that next time I update the page ahead of Chapter 12.
Chapter 11 Annotated PDF
- Like I do after every chapter I compile a PDF file of the entire chapter at its full resolution. This PDF includes some bonus goodies such as author notes that usually contain some of my thinking process, fun-facts about the characters, or just general notes about the chapter. Additionally the PDF includes the outline, script, and layouts for the chapter along with some practice and concept sketches. Also the april fools pages in their full resolution glory are included. This PDF is available to patrons of the $10+ tier for a limited time (until November 1st)- so if you're interested in getting the file this is your first and probably last notice about it!
- I'll be opening up asks again to help pass the time between chapters. There were many questions in the last round and it was pretty well received so why not? As usual, please be sure to ask questions only in the designated places on each respective site that they're open on. This makes it much easier for me to find the questions. Any questions asked in the incorrect place will be ignored. The places to ask will be:
ComicFury: In the comments of the Asks rule page
DeviantArt: In the designated Journal
Patreon: In the designated Post
Twitter: Reply to the designated tweet.
Asks are already open on Patreon. They will open everywhere else this Friday at the normal PRS update time.
Cameos are still Open!
- Earlier in the year I opened up Cameos for Chapter 11. However, I only managed to get through a handful of cameo sheets and thus will be extended the same cameo form for the remaining chapters in the Starfall Arc. So if you missed the window last time, fret not! Please be sure to read the rules on the cameo form- and if you submitted previously, please do not submit more unless your characters were among the ones that appeared in Chapter 11. Please do not be upset if your cameos do not end up being used- I usually pick cameos based on what fits best for the scene and what I feel like drawing.
Cameo Form: https://forms.gle/3U8xYeifGiRee8ak9
- Some of y'all have discovered my redbubble recently. I don't usually advertise it since I don't add much more than the odd sticker but I plan on adding some Ch11 art as stuff like button pins later on- and maybe some new stickers. If there's any art I've made (that isn't commissioned or gift art) that y'all would like to see put on Redbubble in any form, just ask. I don't rely on redbubble for income so all prices should be the redbubble default. I use redbubble more to feed my unhealthy sticker addiciton.
- Lastly, I'd just like to thank everyone for all of the support over the years! Motivation has been an on/off thing for a while now and I'm so happy at the general reception of Chapter 11. It's given me a wave of motivation for the comic that I didn't think I had left in me. I know the story can be a bit slow at times but I swear I'm trying to push things onward! I don't know when Chapter 12 will be ready for updates but I'm quite excited for it- hopefully you guys are too! I've switched the Chapter 11 tracker to start tracking Chapter 12's script progress. Once the script is done it'll change to tracking layouts- and then to overall chapter completion like it has been the last few months. Once you see layouts nearing completion you'll know it's almost time to get working on the actual pages! Until then- enjoy the asks and please don't kill me for the cliffhanger.
Non-important announcement here to help someone out. You see a good friend of mine is trying to get 50 followers on Twitch for access to new fancy stuff that comes with that achievement. So I'm asking y'all to visit his twitch page and whatever and consider following. I don't know much about twitch or anything- all I want is to help a friend out.
If he reaches 50 followers by 6 PM my time I'll change PRS' update schedule to 2x a week for the remainder of the chapter which would have the chapter end on Sept 22. If he reaches 50 by 7 PM my time I'll move all updates up one slot to finish the chapter on the 29th.
Edit: He got to 50! Looks like I owe y'all double updates for the next few weeks~!
Some of you may have noticed that the progress bar now shows 100% completion for Chapter 11! Usually this is the part where I say it's time to go on hiatus while I prep the next chapter but... I've never finished the chapter this long before the last page of it goes public. It's kinda weird, honestly. I'm not going to say there won't be a post-chapter break because there's always the chance I'll just procrastinate Ch12 prep until the last minute but there's also a chance the break will be much shorter than usual! More importantly, while it's not necessarily new news I have moved the update schedule to include the patron-bonus 1st and 3rd Tuesday uploads. (For patrons that'd be the last and 3rd to last Tuesdays as all patrons get all pages a week early.)
I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone for all of the support and feedback y'all have given all these years. I may not respond to every single comment but I do read and greatly appreciate them! It's always a joy seeing people reading and enjoying the comic. Without you guys I'd have called it quites a long time ago. It's been a long learning experience and I'm glad I've gotten the opportunity to share it with you guys. <3 Please keep being awesome.
Updates are resuming this Friday! For the time being we're on Friday-only updates while I attempt to get other work done alongside new pages. No promises on weekly updates but we're good for this week and next at least! The progress tracker should be functioning properly again and should be accurate as I update it while I work.
PRS will be going on a break after page five goes up this Friday. Put simply, I've been so busy with other things I haven't had the time to work on PRS. I don't know how long it'll last but hopefully not more than a few weeks. Grad school thesis stuff comes first!